Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Sugegst treatment for anger management

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
I think I am having some symptoms of Intermittent explosive disorder because I get angry on my family members for few minutes and regret it after an hour. I have read much about it and know the basic solutions like counting to 10 and deep-breathing. Can you please suggest any good supplement for keeping this in check without any side-effect?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Divalproex sodium Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. I see many such patients in my clinic and this problem is fairly common. If it is a recent change in your behaviour say for a few months then the more common possibility is that you could have landed up with a depressive disorder. In your age rather than the typical symptoms of depression , irritability and agressive episodes are more common. They improve with sertraline or fluoxetine over a few weeks. However if the same has persisted for a few years or since the time you have grown old then it is possible that it could an internittent explosive disorder. Valproates are the drug of choice to control these symptoms and they have been very effective in my patients. This could be a manifestation of anemia as well and hence will require supplimentation of iron rich food. Otherwise no significant effect is seen with any supplimentation. Its good that you are already using some measures to control your anger. Further you may add up regular relaxation exercises in your regime like yoga. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Sugegst treatment for anger management 14 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your detailed explanation. As you asked, I would like to state that this behavior is observed in last few months, specially due to sudden increase in my workload and studies. Going by your answer, will it not be classified as intermittent explosive disorder because it is not an age old behavior, please confirm? Also can I take any of the following brand at the following link, please confirm the dosage also? WWW.WWWW.WW
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Atypical Depression needs to be ruled out Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the follow up. From what you have stated in the original question and in the follow up query, it is likely that you could be having a depression with atypical features. Many of my patients of this age group presenting with similar features improve with the use of Fluoxetine in the dose of 20 mg once a day. Its available in the brand names of flumod or flunil. Other options are mirtazapine or venlafaxine or escitalopram. Health care magic is an online forum and legally we are not allowed to prescribe drugs as we have not physically examined you. Sincere apologies for the same. But you may meet some psychiatrist nearby who can confirm the diagnosis for you and provide you with a proper prescription. Kind regards Wish you a good health Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor