Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffers from cryptonomerrhea. Has menstrual feelings every month but no outflow. How to overcome this?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
We suspected my partner suffers from cryptonomerrhea. She has menstrual feelings every month but no outflow. She has never been pregnant before. Do you know how to go about this and possible remedies so that she can have a normal menstrual cycle and get pregnant?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. S Patra 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

Cryptomenorrhea is a clinical condition where menstrual blood fails to come out from the genital tract due to obstruction in the passage.

Most common cause is imperforate hymen and transverse vaginal septum. Other acquired causes are cervical stenosis followed by amputation/ cauterisation and secondary vaginal atresia. Later causes are most important in her age if she got her period earlier.

In this scenario, you need to consult with gynecologist to perform pelvic examination and overall health check up to confirm the diagnosis. Early menopause is also to be eliminated according to her age (40 years). In addition, one pelvic ultrasound scan, complete hormone assay, thyroid profile, blood prolactin level, test for ovarian reserve (estimation of anti mullerian hormone) etc may be required.

Treatment is basically surgical for cryptomenorrhoea. In case of imperforate hymen, incision is made and blood is drained out. Dilatation of the cervix is needed in case of stenosis. Other supportive treatment (like hormonal therapy) is advisable as per test report. In this stage, pregnancy is possible only after successful establishment of her period with proper ovulation.

To summarize, you must consult with your gynecologist at the earliest for proper diagnosis of the case and undergo relevant investigations. Take suggestive measures accordingly.

Hope, above information is quite helpful for your understanding. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor