Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffering with vertigo, diagnosed with Parkinson's. Treatment other than drugs?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Neurologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 96 Questions
My dad has vertigo (meniere's) and was recently diagnosed with "Parkinsonism". Could there be a connection in the cerebellum-brain stem damage, and is there treatment other than drugs for Parkinson's symptoms?
Do you believe borriolus bacteria and related infections are at the core of chronic diseases like Parkinson's?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Visvanathan K 50 minutes later
As far as Meniere's disease and Parkinson's are concerned, the former is a problem at the cranial nerve level and the latter is a problem within the brain. As to the question whether they are related, it is unlikely to be so.

There are treatments other than medicines, like surgery. A procedure called deep brain stimulation is very useful in patients with Parkinson's disease. However, it is ineffective in other causes of Parkinsonism. Similarly, the medicines used to treat Parkinson's disease are ineffective in othere causes of Parkinsonism. You have mentioned that your Dad has "Parkinsonism" which occurs in Parkinson's disease, Parkinsons plus and other such consitions.

Yes, Lyme Neuroborreliosis can present with features of Parkinsonism. But as t0 whether they are the "core" - probably not. they are one among the many purported cause of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinsons disease.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor