Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Suffering with progressive MS, no improvement with medicines. Any advice?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
I am a full time care giver for my wife. She has progressive M.S.More than 50% of her awaken hours is spent in excruciating pain on a scale of 1 to 10 she describes it as an 8 to 10. She has been on Morphine SulfateER 60 mg. for approx. 3 years. We live in St. Petersburg, Fl.and are finding fewer and fewerPharmacies with an ongoing inventory of this product. I've been to every
major and some small reputable independents and no one here in and around has a plan to inventory, on an ongoing basis this Morphine she needs. She is in need now for a supply and not one retailer in St. Petersburg can be counted on with any degree of dependability to provide us with that drug; as well as some of her others; while that's the most important.Can you tell me who amongst your retail accounts in my immediate location we can count on for meeting my wifes monthly supply of Morphine ER60, ongoing. She also takes Morphine15mg. IRR and it's the same old song and dance.
any advice you can give us or thoughts and ideas of how we can insure that XXXXXXX gets the dosages & amounts needed to XXXXXXX and offset the pain levels she's had to endure.
We would greatly appreciate any ideas you may have that will resolve our dilemma.
Thank U very much and I look forward to getting some ideas of how we can XXXXXXX the required needs; monthly on her 2 Morphine products from your company
Thanking you in advance; XXXXXXX & XXXXXXX Davidson

Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

I really understand your situation. I appreciate your care and attention towards your wife's pain and suffering.

I hope you are carrying a clear prescription from the treating doctor (treating Neurologist / Palliation specialist). That is important. Most pharmacies deny saying they are 'out of stock' just because you do not have a legible prescription from the doctor. Doctor fear to prescribe morphine as it is a controlled substance and their DEA would be tracking them. If you have a clear prescription you should have ordered the pharmacist at CVS or Walgreens to call up the nearby stores to ask for the supplies. You should not be going around. You can actually order for the supply well in advance and get the prescription filled by the time arrives. Since your wife's medication is a controlled substance, your doctor will need to personally contact the pharmacist, or if the pharmacist is willing, they might initiate a call to your doctor. The doctor can usually simply approve it over the phone, by providing his DEA number and a brief explanation for the why is prescription required prior to the completion of the last one.

I tried to assist you as better as I can. Please note that this platform is only to answer medical queries and the doctors would not be able to fill the prescriptions. They would not be able to help in locating the store with supplies too. You can refer the local yellow pages and find the most convenient pharmacy who says they have supplies without telling your name. Then make way to them and let your doctor's office call them.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor