Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffering with endometriosis. Blocked urethra tubes. Having permamnent colonoscopy bag. Suggest?

Apr 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 9332 Questions
Hi ! Been suffering with endometrtious for about 2 years which has turned into an mass that's on my rectum, vagina wall and has blocked my uretha tubes. I have taken depot Lupron shots to shrink the mass and had my ovaries removed. Now its time for the removal of the mass. Very nervous of having an permanent colonoscopy bag :(. Will have 3 doctors in surgery, one repairing the vaginal wall, one possibly cutting and reattaching uretha tube and last and major the rectum doctor that's telling me he will have to cut part of rectum, will have a bag for about 3-4 months then reconnect back to colon. He gave 95% of not having a permanent bag. But I think about what if something go wrong and I end up in the 5%:(. This will be a major surgery just to remove this mass, Concerned and ready for this to be over without any problems
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX Such endometriosis progression is rarely seen because most cases are treated before endometriotic mass forms. Of course,nothing can be changed now and you need to find enough strength and patiency for those two procedures.
since this is not cancer I am sure you won't need permanent bag.only some big suprise or surgical complication can lead to permanent bag but you should not think of it. It is much less possible than 5%. Also, if there is some serious colon infiltration which necessitate colostomy it would be seen on ct scan. I know it is is unpleasant to have colostomy even for several months especially for such young people,but patients get used to it very easy so I am sure you won't have problems too.these are complex procedures,but modern surgery is good enough for it,trust me.just relax and be patient,think positively. wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering with endometriosis. Blocked urethra tubes. Having permamnent colonoscopy bag. Suggest? 36 minutes later
Thanks Dr. Romic! That made me feel a little better. Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. My husband think I should wait to see if the mass will shrink since my ovaries has been removed which was feeding the mass. I don't want to because I'm back in a little pain to where I cant enjoy life (sex Life) to be enjoyable. It has me depressed. Been getting a lot of yeast and bladder infections. Also I don't want to leave this mass in me to where it can turn into cancer. Do you think I'm going forth with a good decision? And I don't want to go forth and later suffer from problems that come from this surgery. :(
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Of course you should surgically remove it. I still can't believe that your doctor waited for urethral obstruction before they decided to operate. Also,in early phase it could have been treated laparoscopicalluly,now you need open procedure. But ok...Endometriosis depends mainly on hormonal status,and it will probbaly persist till there is estrogens and it means till menopause.drugs are not very efficient in severe endometrial disease.
So again, I think that there is no doubt about necessity of surgery since there are serious consequances if endometriosis now, and it can progress. Medicines may reduce all this but it won't detach endometrioma from colon and vaginal wall for carries some risks but the benefit is undebatable.and without surgery, your sexual life as well as general quality of life may be very unpredictable.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor