Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Suffering with dry cough for years. Blood work, CT normal. Advise?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Dear Sir,

My wife last three years suffering dry cough I have done all medical test report is normal. as well as blood,citi scan & others so please consult & give me advise very urgently.
Posted Fri, 15 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Considering your wife 's clinical condition and reports the following conclusions can be drawn,
1. She has significant enlargement of XXXXXXX cervical ( neck )lymph nodes which needs further evaluation .
2. She has a apparently normal CT chest , thus the cause of the cough is more likely due to throat irritating lesion rather than a lung disorder .
The cause of such large( >10 mm), XXXXXXX lymph nodes are usually due to any inflammatory ( tuberculosis etc)or malignant lesion in the neighbouring face and neck organs like nasopharyngeal cancers,mass in thyroid gland , inflammatory or infective conditions of oral cavity and throat.
Since your wife has a history of thyroid disorder , that could be the most probable cause however confirmation by thyroid scans , and lymph node biopsies might be required.
The exact cause can only be found after a complete evaluation of the patient by a ENT specialist or oncosurgeon. Sometimes if the problem is long standing and doctor suspects any risk of cancer then he might order a diagnostic dissection and histopathologic testing of the lymph nodes for confirmation of diagnosis.
Whatever the cause , thyroid or any mass lesion , the cough can be difficult to suppress by medicines alone if the origin is due to irritation and compression of nerve.
The treatment will be mainly treating the cause , hence I would advise you to consult a Ear nose throat surgeon for further examination,investigation and management .
Hope I have answered your query .
Wishing you both good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor