Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Suffering with cough, not able to breathe. Told to be allergy. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
I am not suufferring with any health problem.But I start coughing that to without any reason. Sometimes I cogh in such a way that I am not able to breath also. For this once I went to doctor also, and he told that I have allergy. But sometimes b drinking water, or while working in office I start coughing. Please sugest any remedy for this.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
VL'Scopy, Tests & medication as below, bland diet

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Get a videolaryngoscopy (VL'Scopy) done. A common reason for such type of cough is lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat and a Post Nasal Drip.

2. Any other abnormality can also be ruled out during a VL'Scopy. Chronic laryngitis, congestion due to acid reflux and other rare causes can be seen.

3. Other tests such as a blood test for eosinopilia, chest X-ray, Lung Function Tests, sputum examination x 3 consecutive days and review of any medication must be done.

4. If you can upload the VL'Scopy images and test results, I will be able to advise further treatment.

5. In the meanwhile, you may request your doctor to start an anti-allergic, cough suppressant (such as Syp Ascoril-D or Syp. Reswas twice a day), steam inhalation, a medicated gargle (such as Betadine or Tantum), an anti-reflux medication and lozenges. In addition a bland diet, avoiding pollution and air conditioning will help decrease the cough.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor