Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering with chronic back pain. Took treatment. Any problem with lumber spine?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10353 Questions

For years I have suffered with chronic back pain L3, L4, L5, disc has gone in L4 and damage in both knees, the bursal sac becomes inflamed, ankles, the right sight is worse. I am walking differently one leg longer than the other. Yes, I have had extensive treatment, not surgery yet. When the accident happened, two specialist were considering fusing the lumber spine and it was considered to risky. The spine is off balance leaning on the right and causing a flow on effect into my hips and knees then ankles. Will surgery in the back correct the problems and stop the pain and suffering once and for all. I have been told that the back or spine is causing the problems with my knees.

Thank you XXXXXXX

Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The problem in your back is not necessarily causing the pain in your knees. The bad posture that you are having due to the disc prolapse will definitely improve after the spinal surgery.
An MRI of the knee joints will help in detecting the exact pathology. If the difference in the leg length is corrected after back surgery then your knee pain will improve. Pain killers and regular physiotherapy after the spinal surgery can help you in leading a functional lifestyle.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor