Suffering with becker muscular dystrophy. Is it safe to plan for a baby?
Thank you for posting your query.
The most likely type of muscular dystrophy at this age is Becker's type, as you have mentioned. Clinical examination gives a clue, but one should confirm it with investigations.
Serum CPK (a blood test) is elevated in dystrophy. EMG (electromyogrsphy) examination, done by a neurologist, is useful in further evaluation. Muscle biopsy (where a small amount of muscle tissue is removed and examined under the microscope) confirms the diagnosis of dystrophy.
Now, genetic testing is available, to evaluate the dystrophin gene mutation, which is the underlying basis for Becker's type of muscular dystrophy. This is a confirmatory test and can be done on a blood sample.
Regarding having children or not, as muscular dystrophy is a genetic disease, there is a risk of occurrence of this disease in children also. Male children have a higher chance of getting this disease, as compared to female children.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for Becker's muscular dystrophy
- Diagnosis of Becker's muscular dystrophy
- Treatment and cure for Becker's muscular dystrophy
- Symptoms of Becker's muscular dystrophy
- Becker's muscular dystrophy causes
- Landouzy dejerine muscular dystrophy
- Suffering from ducheme muscular dystrophy
- Juvenile muscular dystrophy
- Beckers muscular dystrophy spine surgeons au
- Becker muscular dystrophy pettichiae