Suffering with becker muscular dystrophy. Is it safe to plan for a baby?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi doctor.My name is XXXXXXX from India.My brother in law is suffering with becker muscular distrophy not sure(he has curved spine and still walking and age is 28).Recently i got married.After getting marriage i found that my wife is also have some symptoms of it.She is facing difficulty while climbing the stairs or steps and raising from the floor.What type distrophy they have? and what are your suggestion to have children?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely type of muscular dystrophy at this age is Becker's type, as you have mentioned. Clinical examination gives a clue, but one should confirm it with investigations.

Serum CPK (a blood test) is elevated in dystrophy. EMG (electromyogrsphy) examination, done by a neurologist, is useful in further evaluation. Muscle biopsy (where a small amount of muscle tissue is removed and examined under the microscope) confirms the diagnosis of dystrophy.

Now, genetic testing is available, to evaluate the dystrophin gene mutation, which is the underlying basis for Becker's type of muscular dystrophy. This is a confirmatory test and can be done on a blood sample.

Regarding having children or not, as muscular dystrophy is a genetic disease, there is a risk of occurrence of this disease in children also. Male children have a higher chance of getting this disease, as compared to female children.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad