Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Suffering from uveitis and pars planitis. Getting numbness in back of head and night sweats. What's going on?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2581 Questions
Just wondering, my son is 30 years old. He got uveitis, pars planitis, 11 years ago, and after 7 steroid injections to his eyes (for retinal hemorages), he seemed to go into remission. He did, however, have some problems with upper respiratory infections and doctors did say it could be typical for sarcoidosis. But, after moving from MI to GA 3 yrs. ago he seemed to get better. He is a software engineer and on computer most of the time. He has been getting numbness in back of head, tremors in hands, night sweats. Had MRI which showed demylineation and hypertensity signal.
Is there anything other than MS that could be going on? Appt. with neurologist is 8/6/12.
Thanks, from a very concerned mom
Posted Tue, 7 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Multiple sclerosis is associated with recurring demyelinating episodes. Persisting symptoms are less common in multiple sclerosis.

Other causes which need to be considered are:

1. Neurosarcoidiosis - It is quite challenging to establish the diagnosis of neurosarcoidosis. We need to consider repeating chest X-ray, Computed tomography (CT) scan of thorax and serum ACE levels. Biopsy of the affected areas may be needed if all other tests are inconclusive and treatment of other causes is not fruitful.
2. Inflammatory disorder - idiopathic, infective, vasculitis or autoimmune conditions need to be considered. We need to perform other blood tests, vitamin levels and lumbar puncture to study the CSF to confirm this possibility.

I would suggest you not to panic. Wait for the appointment with his neurologist. You can discuss about these topics with him/her. The aforementioned tests can be tailored accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor