Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Suffering from urinary track infection. Taking ciprofloxacin. How to get relief from pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
Thank you for responding Dr. Grief. My husband is suffering from a urinary track infection that struck him today. He was given a prescription for Ciprofloxacin (for the infection) but nothing for the extreme pain. What can he do for that?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
Ciprofloxacin is usually a good drug for a take care of most domiciliary acquited infections within a day or two.
If your husband has pain while voiding urine, I suggest he improves his water intake if there is no advice to the contrary from a cardiologist. #-4 litres of water every 24 hours does help in washing out the bacteria from urine.
I really am not sure how you can get these drugs in XXXXXXX Fe, but to ease pain, we generally suggest that the patient take 1) Phenazopyridine 200mg tablet thrice daily for after food for 2 days. This is an orange pigment based tablet, and will cause the urine to be practically orange -red in colour, but usually that should not be an issue. 2) Flavoxate Hydrochloride 200mg tablet, to be taken thrice daily after meals for 2-3 days. 3) Alkaline Citrate syrup - 10-15ml to be diluted with a glass of water and to be taken after meals. This will alkalinze the acidic urine, and should help relieve discomfort. 4)If he has difficulty in passing urine, he might benefit from use of drugs called alpha-blockers like Flomax, but before using this, he should probably make sure of the status of enlargement of his prostate, and therefore should consult a Urologist who might do a digital rectal examination and suggest other tests like an ultrasound examination and uroflowmetry. A Serum Prostate specific Antigen test also might be needed but after the present episode of infection has resolved, else it might cause anomalous reports.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor