Suffering from typhoid, diarrhea, fever, headache and neck pain. Any effective medicine?

Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: Dear Doctor,

I am suffering from Typhoid for the last 2 weeks.. doctor advised me to take Monocef ( 1 gm) IV and Azithromycin tablet for 7 days.. Due to diarrhea as advised by doctor, i have stopped the medicine Azithromycin (Only have it 2 tablets). And now I am suffering from fever, head ache & neck pain, pain in eyes etc..

I consult the doctor and he advised me to have CEPODEM 200 mg & Zipi AZ for 7 days (2 times). Can I continue the same?

Form the last 8 years, i am continually getting this diseases.. Any vaccination against this medicine for completely cure from this disease.

Kindly advise.

Thanks & Regards,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

1. I consult the doctor and he advised me to have CEPODEM 200 mg & Zipi AZ for 7 days (2 times). Can I continue the same?

Cefpodoxime proxetil and Cefixime as a combination in your current prescription, after the usage of Ceftriaxone and Azithromycin does not seem enough to my current knowledge about typhoid fever.

In the background of your stated typhoid fever, that too since 2 weeks needs injections rather than oral medications (cepodem and zifi az). That too higher grade antibiotics, that belong to Secondly, your current symptoms point to a mixed infection which is quite possible even if typhoid has been diagnosed by tests. In that case, a viral co-infection may have lead to your body aches and very typical pain in the eye region.

I wonder if you are taking any other medications apart from oral antibiotics you have mentioned - like paracetamol 650mg for adults which is an over the counter medication that is useful for controlling high fever and pains typical in seasonal viral fever. But, you would need to be checked clinically how many times you would actually need it - best left to your doctor.

2. Form the last 8 years, i am continually getting this diseases.. Any vaccination against this medicine for completely cure from this disease.

Typhoid generally occurs in poor hygienic conditions, and may recur frequently if adequate treatment is not delivered during the attack - as the typhoid bacteria become resistant and contribute to overall resistance in the community which it affects.

Yes, vaccines are given for prevention of this disease, especially for high risk individuals like hotel staff etc and also for general public. 2 types of vaccines are available - the selection must be done by doctor for your case. Protection ranges from 2-3 years, which must followed up by booster doses.

I would suggest first to get fully treated under medical supervision in a hospital and then discuss about vaccination.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.
Follow up: Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Please be note that, during the first stage of typhoid, I have taken monosef injection for 7 days (morning & Evening) as advised by physician.

But my typhoid disease was not cured completely & again i consult my doctor and he advised me to take CEPODEM 200 mg & Zipi AZ for 7 days (2 times). And also provided 1 vizylac tablet for diarrhea. I am having the same from today morning onwards. can I continue these medicines?

And now temperature is normal.. can i stop the paracetamol tablets?

But the main problem, is diarrhea. Kindly advise on this.

and also advice me about the foods which I can taken at the time of having the above mentioned medicine. Can I have non-veg?

Awaiting for your revert.

Thanks & Regards,

XXXXXXX

Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for reverting. Continuing medications would be good as you have just mentioned the symptoms have improved, albeit the diarrhoea - for which I would also think probiotic lactobacillus (vizylac in your case) should be good considering the underlying cause of diarrhoea is due mainly to the usage of antibiotics in your case.

Paracetamol, may not be required now - as per the symptoms you have written about.

I would suggest well cooked bland meals for the next month, and preferably avoid meats for the obvious reason that meat foods are known to be the cause in most cases. Instead, go for good quality proteins like XXXXXXX leafy or pulses.

I should assume you should up and going soon.

And discuss vaccination options afterwards.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.