Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffering from tuberculous meningitis and having paralysis in right side. Facing earache & ear discharge. Is this curable without surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2569 Questions
Hello sir, my father is suffering with T.B meningitis. He is 60 year old age. Currently he is in early stage of the disease. He was initially diagnosed in XXXXXXX 2013. He got paralysis in right side and after treatment he recovered but sometimes he complains about headache and feels unconsciousness. He is undergoing regular checkups (MRI) & treatment from last 7 months. From last 2 days he is facing earache & ear discharge. Please let me know whether it is something to worry about and can be curable with medication. Is this a symptom of the existing disease. I want to know whether this disease is curable without surgery. Please suggest me the next step.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad 32 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concerns.

From what I understand, your father was detected to have T.B.meningitis and is on treatment for the last 7 months. I hope he has taken his medicined religiously. He now has ear ache and discharge for couple of days. You did not mention if he has other symptoms such as fever, headaches, hearing difficulty now.

Nevertheless, I don't think the current symptoms are related to his medicines or past illness. These seem to represent a new infection of the ear. Though they are concerning, , I'm hoping that they will easily treated since the symptoms are of short duration just like an acute upper respiratory or ear infection.

You are advised to watch the symptoms closely. Fever, appearance of yellow foul smelling ear discharge are the two symtoms that should be brought to the doctor's attention immediately.

Keep the ear clean and dry. Avoid ear drops. Plan a visit to an ENT surgeon as and when possible for close examination and evaluation.

Hope this information is helpful and guiding. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Take care....
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor