Suffering from tremors. Shaky hands and legs. Which specialist should I consult?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi Sir i am suffering from tremors . i am getting tensed for everything.
As i read from the articles, these tremors are may be the essential tremors.
My hands are shaking and some times legs also(legs shaking rare case)and i am not able to lift the light weight things with left hand and some times with right hand too.
please suggest me some doctor who is expert in that and tell me is this curable or not .
I am getting depression daily for this . Please suggest me in which way i have to proceed.
Please tell me exact way like to whom i have to consult and what type of medicine and food activities i have to fallow .
I am working as software engineer. i am facing lot of problems for this in my life.

Thanks
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort on account of tremors. You need to consult a neurologist for evaluation and treatment of your tremors.

As you suspected, the most likely cause of tremors in a young person like you is essential tremors.

However, we need to exclude other causes such as anxiety neurosis, thyroid problems, deficiency of vitamiins, and Parkinson's disease.

You should take a well balanced diet, and eat food on time. You should not skip meals.

You should maintain normal sleep of 7-8 hours per night.

Various medications are helpful, including beta blockers and clonazepam. Your neurologist would help you with the prescription.

I hope it helps you. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
Hi SIr .
Sorry to reply like this the answers u mentioned here general things and every one knows those. i think paying 600 not for general idea. I am expecting from u is the right medicine and right way and how long it will take to get cured from this and how much cost (maximum and minimum) i have to afford.
U did not mention anything like what medicine and is this curable or not.
As i read in some article essential tremors are not curable .
Can u cure the disease completely.
Please suggest me the medicine else give u r appointment timings and please take my words are plea.
Sorry if u hurt with my reply.
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for getting back with more details. And I am not hurt, I would be pleased to clarify your queries.

Right medicines, I already mentioned- beta blockers (such as propranolol) and clonazepam. The dose of medicines can be decided once the neurologist has examined you.

Essential tremors can not be cured, however, it can be controlled with medications.

For consultation with me, I am available at Apollo on daily basis between 11.30 AM and 5 PM (you can call 040-0000/0000 for more information).

Please get back if you require any further information. My main interest is your well-being. If I can make a difference in your life for making it better, I would be pleased.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)