Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Suffering from tooth ache. Looking for relief

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2059 Questions
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 19 minutes later

As you mentioned, tooth-ache occur due to many reasons-

Dental caries involving pulp and periapical tissue.
Periodontal infection
Traumatic injury.
Cervical abrasion and attrition.
Gingival recession.
Pericoronitis due to impacted tooth.

Based on the cause of tooth-ache, it has to be treated.

Direct clinical as well as x-ray examination has to be done to detect the cause of tooth-ache.

Maintain good oral hygiene.
Brush your teeth twice daily to avoid plaque accumulation on teeth.
Replace your tooth brush in every 6 months.
Floss your tongue daily.

Decayed teeth have to be restored or root canal treated.
If there is periodontitis, get thorough scaling/root planning/curettage done.

Grossly decayed teeth have to be extracted.
Get routine dental check-up.
Analgesics can only temporarily relieve the pain.

If there is a hole in tooth, you can place cotton dipped in formocresol for temporary relief until you visit a dentist.

I would suggest you to visit a dentist whenever feasible before the condition gets worsen.

Hope this suffices.
Please feel free to ask any other concerns.

Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor