Suffering from thyroid and have swelling in feet. Test showed kidney stone. Cause and treatment?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My mother-in-law has a lot of swelling in both her feet. I am attaching two pictures showing the swelling. We got her routine blood tests done. She has been suffering from thyroid for past 5-6 years. Therefore, apart from thyroid we got her urine analysis and other tests done. I am also including two attachments for the reports. It seems from the reports that she has kidney stones. However that does not explain the huge swelling in both her feet. A doctor told us that the swelling could be due to inflammation of bones. He also took some pus out of the feet through an injection. But it seems to have aggravated her condition. Please let me know the cause and treatment of this swelling?

Thanks.

XXXXXXX

Please note: I am sending four attachments in a separate email at the mail ID - YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 6 hours later

Thanks for the question.

First of all I don't completely agree with diagnosis of inflammation of bone. Secondly I think your mother's case has not been completely evaluated.

Her symptoms are suggestive of pedal edema. Retention of water in the soft tissue is the cause of such swelling.This kind of swelling is not specific for one particular cause and can be seen in various conditions. Few such conditions are venous insufficiency in leg, diseases of heart ,kidney .liver,lung etc, lymphedema, hypertension,allergies,anemia, endocrine disorder and hypoproteinemia .From reports only causes related to kidney seems to have been ruled out.Even her thyroid issues might be contributing to leg swelling.

Ideal next step would be to get investigations for other causes.Investigations which can be suggested are lower limb color Doppler,liver function test, 2 decho, hemogram, hormone levels(if needed) and serum protein levels etc.

Usually diagnosis is reached with help of detailed medical history , clinical examination and few investigations.

So I would suggest you to have discussion with your doctor and get investigations done. The treatment is usually directed towards the underlying cause.

Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

Regards.