Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Suffering from systemic candida overgrowth. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1989
Answered : 883 Questions
Dear Doctor,

I have been suffering from poor health for the last 8-9 years. Visited many doctors but no success.
I googled my symptoms and found out that I might be suffering from Systemic Candida overgrowth.
Can you please help where to start the proceedings?

Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The cause of ill health is malabsorption. If the gut cannot absorb all the nutrients there are 2 ways by which one can ensure better absorption.
1. To induce atrophic effect by administering glutamine in oral form.
2. To administer injections of trace elements and vitamins required for health.
I am bewildered by hearing from you that you have fungal infection.
Systemic fungal infection is seen in immunocompromised patiets only.
There has to be positive blood cultures to start antifungal therapy.
I would suggest the following.
1. Glutamine sachets 3 per week on alternate days for 1 month.
2. Vitamin supplements twice a week by IV route as well as oral route.
3. high protein, high carb , low fat diet excluding items which you do not tolerate.
4. blood culture for fungal growth just to allay your stress.
5. 30 minute walk everday.
6. plenty of fruits especially bananas.
7. yogurt to develop your indigenous flora of the gut.
I hope this will help you resolve your health issue.
with regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from systemic candida overgrowth. What treatment should be done? 16 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.
I had B12 Injections for almost 6 months on daily as well as weekly basis. Now the b12 issue is resolved.
You told me about the Blood Culture for fungal growth. Where should I get it tested. Do i need to consult another Doctor or should I get it tested at a Lab.
If it is Lab please provide me the exact name of the test. So that Lab people can better understand the test.

Thanks & Regards
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 1 hour later
thanks for the feedback.
Any qualified pathologist will do the test. (or in any Apollo facility)
Ask them to collect a sample of blood for fungal and bacterial culture.
It is unlikely to be positive in your case as I have already stated in my previous reply.
However it is good to allay your anxiety.
With regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor