Suffering from stomach pain with vomiting. Prescribed Lavaprazole and neopeptine syrup. No ulcer and gastric problem. Cause?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Question: My 5 year daughter is suffering from severe stomatch pain with omitting. Attended the Doctor and advised Lavaprazole, another chewable for omitting, if necessary and neopeptine syrup (Alpha-Amylase IP + Papain IP). Womitting stopped instantly. On that night, she could not sleep due to severe pain in stomatch. The next morning, all was well. From 3 pm onwards, the pain gradually increases and get worse towards late night. Today morning also, the pain was not there. However, we approached the doctor again and he advised to continue the same for 6 complete says (in all). She got a urine test and a scan, all was fine. The Doctor advices Mefthal -Spas (1/2) if severe pain appears again. He says, there may be pain without acidity/ulser also. That evening also, she is suffering from pain, but at reduced level, after taking Mefthal-Spas. We are wondering what is going around her now. The Lab results are normal, She has no Ulcer or No gastric problems. Then what causes it.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 16 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM!
I know ow difficult it s for a mother to see her little one suffer!
Abdominal pain has a variety of causes.
Your doctor is treating her for gastrits and she has improved to some extent - atleast vomiting has stopped.!
Gastritis takes some time to improve. You have to continue the medicines for at least 15 days
Give her bland diet,milk and watch.
I am sure sonar,liver function tests,and other blood Tests and motion( stool) examination have been done.

Do not introduce any new food now as food allergy can also cause abdominal pain.

If pain persists she will need some more tests including endoscopy but one likes to avoid these invasive tests if possible.
Give her more time and confidence.
God bless
Dr Uma

Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 13 minutes later
Its a great relief reading your reply. But whats the reason for the stomach pain appears in the morning? it slowly starts at 3 pm and worsening towards the midnight. We are giving her milk and simple foods. She often goes to toilet, but in vein. Thanks in advance for your valuable comments doctor.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 minutes later
Yes XXXXXXX
Pain of gastritis is time related
This pain is characteristically in the upper abdomen below the ribs,and above the umbilicus.
It is more when stomach is empty and gets relieved by food.
Stress can aggravate this pain.!!
If by another week she is not alright, show her to the doctor again or get a second opinion.
Meanwhile think whether you started some new food for her which can cause food allergy!!
Good luck
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 minutes later
Yes Uma Madam,
She takes black cofee for a week, bakery items, beaf and chicken before 24 hours of her illness in connection with one of our relatives visit. She normally not takes meat items. Doctor also told us that it is due to indigestion. I hope that Mefthal-Spas has no adverse effect on her, since i heard that it is used in menstrual pain.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 15 hours later
Why black coffee in this small child!!!!?????
Mefthal is a smooth muscle spasm relaxant- can be used occasinally but not as a routine in the small child
I would suggest only antacids and lavaprazoe for 2 Weeks. If no improvement get second opinion,do more tests and revise the diagnosis.
Stop meat,fish etc for some time till you know what it is-
No coke,soda,citrus juices like orange and lemon .

Good luck
Dr uma