Suffering from stomach ache and loose stool. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Question: stomach and loose stoolI have not had a solid stool in months its either liquid or kind of my stomach hurts when I wakeup then goes away but as the say progresses it comes back and then the pooping intenses and its almost like pooping fire belt nights end. I'm a male and I'm 26
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on your problem to understand better and opine specifically.

Are the stools frequent ?
Are the stools watery or semisolid in consistency ?
Is there any colour change , mucus or blood stain in the stools ?
Since how many months do you have the problem ?
Was there any change in the diet in recent days ?
Are you on any medications ?

Waiting for your reply.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
yes but more so at night
really depends kinda the liquid with chunks in it
no blood or anything like that
4months
no diet change
no meds
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 12 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the stool pattern, it is unlikely to be related to some serious trouble. Probably the symptoms could be happening due to irritable bowels or due to indigestion. Disturbance in the acid output of the stomach or lack of roughage in the diet may be one of the reasons too.

I suggest you to try the following measures. Most of my patients with similar problems have found good relief with these suggestions:

1. A slight change in diet which includes addition of fiber XXXXXXX foods like Oat XXXXXXX wheat XXXXXXX berries, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables etc will surely help you.

2. You can otherwise take a teaspoon of Psyllium husk with water or milk every night. This will harden the stool and form the bulk.

3. Avoid spicy foods for few days as they may worsen the condition.

4. Plenty of fluid consumption also has additional benefits.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad