Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suffering from speech disturbance. Are these symptoms of aphasia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3621 Questions
Hi. I am having problems slurring words, saying the wrong words, knowing what to say but I can't say it and feel a constant pressure on the top of my head like i am wearing a tight hat. I am seeing a neurologist monday after being referred by my family doctor. Are these symptoms of aphasia?
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query.

The speech disturbance you mention do make me suspicious of a type of Aphasia called Expressive aphasia (non-fluent aphasia), also known as Broca's aphasia.

Here the person does face difficulty in expressing the words. Slurring speech is very typically seen in this condition.

Do proceed to consult the neurologist, he after examination would be able to ascertain the diagnosis.

Hope I answered your query. Please do ask doubts, if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor