Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
154 Doctors are Online

Suffering from slip disc in L3-L4 and back pain. What treatment should be done?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My mother is suffering from slip disc in L3-L4. She has been suffering from it for the past 1 year and has continuous pain in the back. What treatment should we try/
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to us.

Your mother having slip disc at L3-L4 level. This disc may be compressing upon a nerve root that either exits or traverses through that level. Having known this basic anatomy, she must avoid any activity that aggravates the condition, like bending forward and lifting heavy objects, sitting long hours , inappropriate sitting posture, etc.

There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks.

For this condition I suggest her to do stretching & strengthening exercises of back in which she has to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.Kindly note that exercises should only be done when it doesn't hurt. Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc.

If she don't get better with these treatment , another option is surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve her symptoms.

Hope this helps her. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing her good health...
Take care
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor