Suffering from shingles. Taking famciclovir. Am I contagious? What precaution should I take?

Dr. Mamun Kabir

Posted on Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: HI. MY DR TELLS ME AFTER TAKING FAMCICLOVIR FOR 72 HRS I WILL NOT B CONTAGIOUS..I ASK THIS QUESTION BECAUSE I HAVE A NEW BORN GRANDDAUGHTER BORN ON THURS. MAR 22 AND A 22 MONTH OLD GRANDSON THAT I AM WITH EVERYDAY SO CONTAGIOUSNESS IS IMPORTANT. ALSO HOW AM I CONTAGIOUS? BEEN TOLD I NEEDED TO TOUCH THE RASH AND THEN TOUCH MY GRANDCHILDREN. IS THIS CORRECT OR IS IT TRANSFERED BY BREATH OR ANOTHER WAY?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY INFO YOU CAN GIVE ME.
BY THE WAY WAS DIAGNOSED WITH SHINGLES.
I ALSO WANT TO KNOW IF I DID TRANSFER THE SHINGLES VIRUS TO ANYONE HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WATCH TO SEE IF THEY CATCH THE VIRUS? 3 DAYS, A WEEK, 2WEEKS? WHAT IS THE INCUBATION TIME? WHEN CAN I SAFELY ASSUME THEY ARE NOT CATCHING CHICKEN POX?
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 5 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic.
Thank you for your query.

Shingles is a vial illness caused by herpes zoster.
It is the same organism for chicken pox.
During infection period of chicken pox, the organism may go in to nerve root & live in dormant condition for a long period.
After a long period, the organism goes along the nerve distribution & causes shingles.

Shingles usually transmitted through skin contact.
However, virus also present in saliva.
So kissing may also transmit this infection.
So beware of it.
The incubation period of shingles may vary from days to years.

However, chicken pox may develop from contamination of shingles.
The contagious period is few days before appearing of rash to 1 week after disappearance of rash.

However, if treatment is started, the lesion becomes non-infective within 3-4 days of starting treatment.

I hope I have been some help of your query.
Please write if you have any doubt.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mamun Kabir 10 hours later
THANK YOU DR. YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP BUT I WOULD LIKE TO CLARIFY 1 MORE POINT. IF I SAW MY GRANDCHILDREN ON SUNDAY, MARCH 24 AND I HAVEN'T SEEN THEM SINCE WHEN WILL I FEEL SAFE THAT THEY R NOT GETTING CHICKEN POX?
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 3 hours later
Thank you for your follow up question.

Though you are not further infectious to them but please wait for another 3-5 days.
It will be safe for your grandchildren.

God bless you & your granddaughter.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mamun Kabir 53 minutes later
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OUR HELP.
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mamun Kabir 13 minutes later
Thank you too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T