Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Suffering from severe asthma. Feeling congested and coughing up mucus. How to cure this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
Hi, My father is suffering from severe asthama. He coughs a lot and has frequent congestion to due to mucus formation in the chest. He is otherwise quite healthy but the constant cough drives him crazy and he is unable to concentrate on work. We live in Mumbai. PLease let me know how to help him. We have lost trust in most of the doctors as they dont seem to be Asthama specialist. The doctore did not even ask him to a allergy test untill we read about it somewhere on the net.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 35 hours later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your father seems to be suffering from bronchial asthma as per your history. Please do let me know if he has a previous smoking history?

2. It is better to get Asthma diagnosed and managed by a specialist i.e. Pulmonologist.

3. Only tb. deriphylin for asthma is insufficient for asthma management.

4. Investigations required for diagnosis of asthma are chest xray, pulmonary function test (spirometry) and serum IgE levels. If required ct thorax may be performed.

5. As per the evaluation reports, the patient will then be started on inhaled therapy which is the cornerstone of asthma management. There are much better oral medications (broncho dilators) than deriphyllin now available for patients.

6. Thus inhalers, oral bronchodilators, anatacids and preventive medications will help him.

7. Apart from regular management of asthma, measures like dust avoidance and preventive vaccinations with flu and pneumococcal vaccination will also help him.

8. Thus it is recommended herewith that you should get your father evaluated in detail with a pulmonologist / chest physican in Mumbai and then the management can be initiated on the lines discussed above in consultation with your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor