Suffering from severe anxiety and pain in abdomen. Could It be pancreatic cancer?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I am suffering from severe anxiety and now have really bad pain at the top of my abdomen and worried it pancreatic cancer?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: too early to be worried for a cancer. Detailed Answer: hello XXXX! i went through your query and i think you are hurrying for the diagnosis. A simple abdominal pain with some anxiety is no way a malignancy. COuld be a simple epigastric pain due to simple spasm or some reflux.Take some Antispasmodics like phloroglucinols and PPIs like omeprazoles with some aniety medications like alprazolams 0.5 mg for some days and i am sure your troubles will vanish. But if you really think it might be malignancy you need to provide me with abit more specification. Answer my few questions please so that i could be of help Have you lost weight 10 to 15 kgs in last 6 months? have you mid epigastric pains( between rib cages soft spots)? any night time relentless pains? Have you diabetes? if yes has it started in a year or two? Are you jaundiced(yellowish tints skin and sclera? is these some mass palpable under your right rib cage painless mass?(gallbladder)? Are there any bumps or nodules near your belly button? Any palpable bump/lymph node near your shoulder bone left one specially? HAve you got a rectal exam? was there a mass there?(blummer's shelf) Is there any evidence of malnutrition? (low serum albumins or cholestrol levels?) if any of these answers are yes then i am afraid you would need to verify it with some work up before saying for sure its a malignancy. Complete blood count Hepatobiliary tests( Bilirubin.total conjugated, ALT GGT AST ALT etc) Serum Amylase Lipase Amylase to Lipase ratio urinary amylases. Tumor Markers CA19-9 CEA Ctscan abdomen and pelvis Transcutaneous and endoscopic ultrasounds MR scans ERCP endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreaticography. PET All these tests will confirm the presence or absence of malignancy. With information you provided it is hardly impossible to say anything. Lets hope for the best and Stop worrying for no reasons. I hope i was of some help. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask , i would be more than happy to answer and solve your queries. Otherwise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per you experience. I wish you very good luck and take some very good care of yourself. Regards Dr Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 18 minutes later
Yes I have lost weight. And yes it was relentless pain all night. I have had some investigations but the abdominal pain is new. I also sweat at night and have been to a chest specialist who thought it all anxiety related. I still fear lymphoma. I will probably have to have a ct scan.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Lets hope for the best Detailed Answer: Hello agin XXXX! Night sweats could a simple fever. But for your satisfaction you should do the investigations i advised. Losing weight could be simple from the anxiety as your doctor already mentioned. I am sure you wont have any serious trouble. Lets hope for the best. I am sure every thing would be fine.DOnt forget to close the discussion if there are no more queries please. Cheers XXXXXXX