Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suffering from seizure disorder. Started getting minor attack. On breast feed. What medicine should be given?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
My wife XXXXXXX XXXXXXX age about 28 years, is suffering from seizure disorder since childhood, she got attack twice a day but it is minor attack, she has done test such as EEG, CT Scan etc. The test are normal, and she has baby who is feeding breast milk. Will suggest me what medicine she should take?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thanks for the query.

I understand your problem; epilepsy can be concerning and I hope your know few important facts that should be kept in mind when one suffers epilepsy.
1. Protect her from injury by taking necessary precautions during the epileptic episodes.
2. Padded gag should be inserted in teeth during episodes.
3. Driving, swimming should be avoided.
4. Never stop medicines without the advice of the treating doctor.

Now medicines,

- During breastfeeding, commonly used drug is phenobarbitone. This can be given in 2 to 3 doses.
- Phenytoin and carbamazepine are the second choice of drugs.
- Along with the above mentioned drugs one multivitamin must be given to her.

These drugs do not have any side effects on breastfeeding baby. Consult her treating doctor for dose distribution and if needed combination of these drugs.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor