Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Suffering from schizophrenia. Suggestions

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1852 Questions
Hi Sir/Madam,

My brother has been suffering from schizophrenia for the last 13 years and we family member are very much desperate to cure him. Please advise us.

Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 16 hours later
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress for your brother.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     34 year old male
•     Total illness duration 13 years, precipitated by Typhoid
•     Known case of Schizophrenia
•     Complaints of: living in own world and lack of acceptance for presence of illness

Schizophrenia is a chronic and severe psychiatric disorder with remission and exacerbation of symptoms during its course. I can understand your concern regarding your brother illness, as it lead to significant distress to caregivers.

The basic pathology in this illness is increase dopaminergic neuro-transmission in brain. Many time illness remain in body (Asymptomatic phase) for years without manifesting any clinical symptoms, but stressor (like Typhoid in his case) bring illness to symptomatic phase.

Due to illness patient hear or see things which is not seen or heard by others. They also have thought disturbance which leads to formation of false and firm belief system. All these things make patient to live in imaginary world.

It is treatable condition and behavior improved after treatment. It is treated with medicines which decrease dopamine neuro-transmission. This condition should be treated after adequate assessment by treatment with medicines (like antipsychotics).

In symptomatic phase of illness patient do not have insight regarding illness as they do not considered themselves ill. Due to that they deny need for any treatment, in such cases after assessment medicines can be given in form of depot injections or medicines in food (syrup or tablets).

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor