Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from schizophrenia. Refusing to take medicine. How to convince?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
hi, daughter is suffering from schizophrenia, we have noticed only 10 months back she is 26 yrs old she is under treatment for 5 months and now stopped taking medicines and becoming voilent day by day refusing to take medicines how to convince her take medicines and what is option we have at this stage.kindly advise.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I understand that it can be difficult when a loved one has a psychiatric disorder and the person refuses treatment. Schizophrenia is a psychotic disorder, which means that when a person is having active symptoms, they often don't realise that they have an illness and that they need medication. So, the problem of refusal of medication is not uncommon in persons with Schizophrenia.

In such situations, the following options can be considered:
1) Giving medication covertly i.e. without the knowledge of the person - there are anti-psychotic medication which come as colourless, odourless liquids / suspensions - which can be easily given without the person's knowledge. Once the person's active symptoms come down, then there are good chances that they will re-gain their insight and take medication subsequently.

2) There are long-acting (depot) injections available - which can have the same effect as oral medication, but need to be given only once in a month.

3) If the person is very aggressive and unmanageable, the involuntary admission to a psychiatric ward for a short period may need to be considered. Like I said before, once the severity of the illness comes down, the person will be in a position to understand that she needs to take medication.

So, please discuss these options with her psychiatrist, so that an appropriate strategy can be planned and adopted.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor