Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Suffering from rt loin, blood in urine, kidney pain. Had bouts of kidney stones. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 323 Questions
Hi, I have been suffering from rt loin pain for over 10 yrs. been under a specialist for 8 yrs. The pain is a chronic ache that never goes away and usually sits at 4-5 out of 10 XXXXXXX all the time. The pain is deep in the kidney and feels like it is enlarged causing pressure. Have had various bouts of kidney stones. The pain can escalate and makes me feel very unwell. Have been to pain clinics ect with no cure. I am considering having the kidney removed as i can get no relief from it. Always have blood in my urine although not always visible with the naked eye. Also been diagonized with fibromyalgia, and it seems when the kidney pain increases my other pain does as well. Your thoughts would be appreciated
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 3 hours later

You have right loin pain. First, it is important to understand that not all loin pain may be kidney pain. Pain can occur from any of the structures in that area. These are-

neuropathic from intercostals nerves
liver and gall bladder
referred pain from stomach or spine.

Now a doctor’s job is to find out the correct cause.

Pointers for kidney pain would be- if the ultrasound shows any abnormality in the kidney like cyst, enlargement, stone, mass. if the urine routine test shows proteins, rbc or wbc, history of urine infections in past. Generally, kidney pain will not increase by bending movement, and running, if it is so it is likely to be muscular pain. Spinal diseases, paraspinal muscular spasms can mimic kidney pain. Here the treatment is back exercises and physiotherapy. Therefore, what is the correct way to manage--

You have to ask your doctor the reason for the pain. He has to examine and rule out three possibilities. As you have been in consultation with a specialist, I think he would have given emphasis to all these aspects.

I would like to see your urine routine report and ultrasound findings.

As far as your question of removing the kidney- with the amount of information provided there is no indication for kidney removal.
You should understand that if you do not follow correct diagnosis the pain may remain after removing kidney. And kidney is generally removed only if it has got a tumor.

Hope this helps, review for any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from rt loin, blood in urine, kidney pain. Had bouts of kidney stones. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia 56 minutes later
I have bee diagnosed with Medullary Sponge kidney, Dilated Tortous Ureters, Severe hydronephtosis and hydroureter due to calculi causing obstruction. Also have a history of UTI's. It is definately a kidney related problem. My husband is a Chiropractor and he finds the Pelvis of Kidney shows or also Glomerulus Capsule. Don't know if this will be of any help.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 14 minutes later
Hi there,

Medullary sponge kidney is a very benign condition. It by itself does not damage the kidneys. However, it can predispose to infections and kidney stones.

If your recent ultrasound or CT Scan shows dilated ureter with stone-- if the stone is still there with dilated ureters then we have to decide whether the stone removal will improve the kidney function and relieve the pain. DTPA scan is the test of choice- if kidney function of this kidney is<10ml GFR and renal cortical thickness is very less then there is no chances of recovery and nephrectomy (Kidney removal can be done).
If kidney cortical thickness is good in imaging studies and DTPA scan shows greater than 10ml GFR function then stone removal in an obstructed ureter can help relieve the pain.

You can discuss these options with your doctor.

Get back to me in case of any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Nephrologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor