Suffering from recurring yeast infection. Could it be herpes?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi!
For the last year I have been suffering from recurring yeast infection symptoms, itching and white cottage cheese like discharge. I can usually minimize the symptoms by taking a pro-biotic and yeast cleanse. However, this has been happening almost monthly. When I don't take the homeopathic remedies sometimes some small bumps develop and then go away... today one was going away so I went to planned parenthood to make sure it was a yeast infection or if it could be herpes or something else. The doctor at first said it did not look like herpes, but it didn't look like yeast either, but then she took a sample and it confirmed yeast so she prexrcibed diflucan. She then still recommended a blood test for herpes. Is this likely herpes?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 47 minutes later
The symptoms you have are likely to be due to yeast infection. Herpes infection that too long standing is usually associated with pain, redness with lot of itching. It generally presents with group of lesions, multiple in number. It is associated with fever, body pain as constitutional symptoms unlike yours which is just local.
The cause of recurrence seems to be due to an incomplete treatment. The partner also needs to be treated simultaneously to avoid re infections.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.