Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suffering from prolonged sore throat. Diagnosed grannular pharyngtis. Prescribed Azithromycin and Distaclor CD. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 454 Questions
I am suffering from prolonged sore throat( 4 weeks ), i had the diagnosis done by two ENT specialists. Both came to conclusion that i have grannular pharyngtis. I i have been a smoker for 5 years. For the first week i had a course of Azithromycin (500mg) for 7 days.But it didnt help much.
After that i had to go to Hyderabad for some business. Then when i returned i had my throat checked by another ENT specialist. I was put on a course of Distaclor CD for 5 days(375mg twice daily) and Dolonex DT(twice daily).I have some relief but not completely, I have cough also. I am worried about cancer since i had smoked for a while.
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Throat swab c/s gives correct antibiotic for you

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Granular Pharyngitis is nothing but chronic pharyngitis commonly seen in smokers due to irritation of the mucosa by the tobacco. So to conclude the exact antibiotic that fits for your problem can be known by culture sensitivity of your throat swab. Instead of changing antibiotics from different doctors, you better do this.

Regarding cancers associated with tobacco smoking, its already proved that tobacco use in any form causes cancer. So abstain from smoking today itself. If you feel difficlult to get out of your habbit you can try nicotine replacement therapy . There are OTC available nicotine chewing gums, you can try on them.

Also get a chest X-ray to clear your doubt.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from prolonged sore throat. Diagnosed grannular pharyngtis. Prescribed Azithromycin and Distaclor CD. Cancer? 48 hours later
I visited my doctor again today. She says that the infection has subsided but it cant be cured completely without surgery. Though she is saying that post surgery is quite painful and not worth the pain.

As of now my cough has gone. And i am feeling better in throat. But still i can feel discomfort and a sensation in left side of my neck , i mentioned these to her but she says there only i have the infection so i am feeling that way there. She gave me metaspray. and said it will stop things getting worse if not cure it.

I want to know if this can happen, pharyngitis lasting for months . Should i consult some other doctor?
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
may be she advised surgery for DNS problem.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,

Generally chronic pharyngitis responds to antibiotics .I never seen surgery for this. But as per given information , your doctor might have advised surgery for your DNS(deviated nasal septum) problem. thats why she prescribed metaspray propably for your nasal blockades.

As you are syptomatically improved, there is no need of antibiotics now.

You can list out what issues you are facing right now and I can suggest the correct way to go for a necessary treatment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor