Suffering from productive cough, fever and body pain. Suggest some medicine

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi Doctor,

I am suffering from Productive cough. It's been more than 2 month.
Phlegm color is whitish transparent. There is no reduction of body weight, i am 73 KG & 5ft 11in height. Last night i had fever with little strain in body muscles but i am fine now. Please suggest some medicine to loosen up the phlegm. Request your suggestion to avoid same kind of issue in future.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

How are you? Thanx for posting your query on XXXXXXX

First and foremost any cough lasting for more than 2 weeks should not be ignored. I would like to know little more about your cough and associated symptoms. Pl answer the following questions:-

1. Do you have any breathlessness or wheezing along with cough?
2. Are you allergic to dust and smoke or anything else?
3. Does it worsen with exercise or on exposure to cold and dry wind?
4. Do you suffer from sinusitis or excess acid secretion?
5. Are you a smoker?
6. Have you experienced similar episode in the past?
7. Do you have any family history of asthma or allergy?
8. Is last night the only time you experienced fever or have you been having low grade fever off and on esp at night?

I`ll be able to suggest further course of action the moment i get answers to the above questions. In the mean while you may take a course of antibiotics like augmentin or azithral for 5 to 7 days to tackle any latent throat or chest infection.

More on hearing from you.
Follow up: Dr. Shashi Dangwal 37 hours later

Ans - No, initially i used to cough vigorously but now a days its negligible.

Ans - No

Ans - No

Ans - No

5. Are you a smoker?

Ans - No

Ans - No, not for this long.

Ans - No.

Ans - last night and night after that, now i am suffering from loose motion. i ate spicy chinese day before yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanx for further input.

Going thru your earlier query and the answers you gave to my questions, your cough does`nt seem to be a cause for concern at present. As i said earlier, it may be because of some latent or subclinical infection or some kind of allergy. You may take a course of antibiotics as suggested by me earlier for 5 to 7 days.Take a montair lc at night and a Pan 40 in the mornings for a week or two to tackle any allergy or any reflux of acid if you are having as this can also result in dry, irritating cough. I`m sure the cough will subside in due course of time.

Bye.