Suffering from postpartum depression, fatigue, dry skin and hair fall. How to get relief?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi I am 3 months post partum, first baby.
I have fatigue, hair falling out (it's all over baby always pulling it out of his hands and under his chin
Dry skin. All my joints and tendons feel like they are on the verge of spraining. Especially hands and feet, left hip and inner elbows. I have a hard time picking up baby as muscle strength is poor.
Now having dizzy spells. Also experience a stuffy feeling in lower neck. If I turn certain ways it triggers coughing fit.
I would like to fee more present when engaging with my baby but its like an out of body experience
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. I'm not sure that all your symptoms are related to hormonal issues. I would recommend you check the following tests to detect any hormonal issues -Vitamin D3, serum calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase and thyroid function tests. Hairloss, joint pains and muscle weakness can be seen in hypothyroidism and vitamin D deficiency so I have advised these tests. You could see a dermatologist for symptomatic management of hairloss in the meantime. Many women experience depression and other mental issues in postpartum period and I guess there is a component of depression which is partly responsible for some of your symptoms. Go for the tests I have suggested and get back to me. I reassure that proper treatment is available for the conditions I hav asked you to test for and if they are responsible for your symptoms the results will be gratifying. Hope to hear from you before long.
Shivaprasad