Suffering from parkinson's tremor and muscle cramps. Not cured by medicine. Alternative cure?

Posted on Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Parkinson's tremor and muscle cramps. Meds not working part of the time, primarily carbo/dopa both regular and slow release. any ideas other than drugs ?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 49 minutes later
Hello!
You seem to have long standing parkinson's disease. Later into the illness L-dopa/carbidopa starts failing, fluctuations and abnormal dyskinesias start and this is when DBS may help.
You can go for CT scan under minimal sedation. I know it seems difficult to be off medications but this phase will be transient lasting for a day.
DBS will benefit your tremors significantly.
Apart from DBS and drugs nothing will significantly alleviate your tremors.
In medications also you can ask your neurologist to try adding Amantidine, for this may help your tremors.
If it is off time/wearing off tremors (tremors coming when the effect of medications is gone or just decreasing) the in between the two doses of your syndopa he/she may add dopa agonist like Pramipexol(pramipex) /Ropinirol (ropark).
Just discuss with your movement disorder specialist/Neurologist and prepare yourself for DBS.
If you have any more queries, i shall be happy be happy to address them.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Neeraj Baheti

Dr. Neeraj Baheti

Neurologist