Suffering from parkinson's tremor and muscle cramps. Not cured by medicine. Alternative cure?

Posted on Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: Parkinson's tremor and muscle cramps. Meds not working part of the time, primarily carbo/dopa both regular and slow release. any ideas other than drugs ?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 49 minutes later
You seem to have long standing parkinson's disease. Later into the illness L-dopa/carbidopa starts failing, fluctuations and abnormal dyskinesias start and this is when DBS may help.
You can go for CT scan under minimal sedation. I know it seems difficult to be off medications but this phase will be transient lasting for a day.
DBS will benefit your tremors significantly.
Apart from DBS and drugs nothing will significantly alleviate your tremors.
In medications also you can ask your neurologist to try adding Amantidine, for this may help your tremors.
If it is off time/wearing off tremors (tremors coming when the effect of medications is gone or just decreasing) the in between the two doses of your syndopa he/she may add dopa agonist like Pramipexol(pramipex) /Ropinirol (ropark).
Just discuss with your movement disorder specialist/Neurologist and prepare yourself for DBS.
If you have any more queries, i shall be happy be happy to address them.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Neeraj Baheti

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Neeraj Baheti


Practicing since :2000

Answered : 37 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Catecholamine

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a severe rash all over the body, the itchiness is unbearable. It started 10 days ago, but getting worse, my whole face is swallen, face,...

doctor1 MD

Hi, ive been getting heart palpatations off and on since my 20s ive gone to the doctor about 10 yrs. ago and had a test wear i wore a heart monitor...

doctor1 MD

I am a 29 year old female and have high blood pressure.I am concidering getting pregant,I am, wondering if this med is best for me , my doctor says...

doctor1 MD

Sub: Drug Treatment for Parkinson s Disease What is of the counter Chemist name for purchase of the drug ? Drug Sinemet (Levodopa/Carbidopa)....

doctor1 MD

Hi, is it normal for my heart rate to drop when I take a hit of crack cocaine. I usually take a hit, and then my heart rate stays at baseline or...

doctor1 MD

I ve always had a palpatation here and there, but now I m having a episode about every hour. More so every time i stand up or walk around. It makes...

doctor1 MD

Please read my medical history before reading further; I had a second catecholamine test completed the adrenaline levels are now 52.21 pg/ml and...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

133 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction