Suffering from paranoia. What treatment should be done?

Posted on Mon, 6 May 2013 in Mental Health
Question: Hi ,I am from India . My sister is 30 years old. She is suffering from paranoia. Now the problem is that we cannot convince her to take her to a doctor. She becomes violent sometimes. Recently she beat herself and when my parents went to control her, she started beating them also. What should be done in such a case? Should she be put in a mental hospital.?
If yes , how can she be taken there. Since she will not go if we ask her and may become violent. Do medical hospitals provide any facility to take her to hospital without any legal issues. ? And for the time being what should be done ? Medicine ...or anything. We are completely helpless.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
She should have at least someone she is not very violent to. This could be the key person who could be used as a gateway for her to start taking treatment before she is taking to the psychiatric facility.
If this fails, the second option is presenting the issue to the authorities of a psychiatric hospital, its going to be better if presented, or you obtain a clear description and reference letter from her family physician. Based on this, an expert can be sent to evaluate the situation on ground, and based on his report, a legal backing can be obtained, in order for her to be taken, may be against her will, into the physchiatric hospital for appropriate care.
Its worth noting that after the calming of symptoms in the psychiatric hospital, most probably, there shall be need to have a follow up with both the psychiatrist and psychologist. This is an important aspect that should be kept very much in mind in advance. An treatment, might take some time.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow up: Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 45 hours later
Thanx for the reply. Is it curable? And are there any medicines that can be given to her now?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 11 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
With drugs, outcomes are generally very good. Its a treatment protocol that takes a long time. Decision to prescribe specific drugs is made on a case by case basis. My suggestion is taking her to a psychiatric centre. Follow up and reactions to the drugs is a key issue in management of patients like, especially at the early stages or when in crises.
Hope this helps,
Best regards, XXXXXXX t hesitate asking further questions if need be. Its all my pleasure.
Luchuo, MD.
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain