Suffering from panic attack disorder. Taking nexito table. Right medication?

Dr. Sundar Gnanavel

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Question: hello...i m suffering from panic attack disorder...for last two year i m on nexito tablet..your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Panic disorder is a well-established anxiety disorder with a variety of proven effective interventions- both pharmacological (medication-based) and non-pharmacological. Nexito is escitalopram, belonging to SSRI group of medication with proven anti-anxiety properties with minimal side-effects/ drug interactions and hence the choice of drug is fine. Nevertheless, we have other equally effective options like SNRI and TCA group of drugs. I generally prefer to combine psychotherapy (eg cognitive behavioural therapy) with medication particularly in cases with minimal/no improvement only with medication. If you have experienced significant decrease in frequency of panic attacks with only T.Nexito, my suggestion would be to continue on the same drug and dosage for a minimum of another 2 years. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar G
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
hi..i am unable to see the answer..guess some problem..please do the needful.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing to us. Hope you are now able to see the answer.
Dr Sundar G
Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan