Suffering from palpitations problems. On medicines. How to get cured?

Dr. Anil Grover

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Sir, I am suffering from palpitations problems from last few yers. For 4-5years, I have taken INDERRAL 10 mg (PROPANOL). Now doctors advised me stop INDERAL AND TAKE PROLOMET XL 25. I AM TAKING PROLOMET XL 25 FOR LAST SIX MONTHS BUT MY PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS. NOW I GOT TOO MUCH ANXIOUS AND FEARED WHEN MY PALPITATION STARTS. IT LASTS FOR 3 MINS -10 MINS DEPENDING UPON MY FEARNESS. ECG, TMT AND ECOCARDIOGRAPH RESULTS ARE NEGATIVE. I AM VERY MUCH SUFFERING FROM THIS DISEASE. IT IS HAMPERING MY DAILY LIFE, OFFICE WORKS, ETC. KINDLY HELP ME . I HAVE FATTY LEVER PROBLEM AND GASTRITIES PROBLEMS. I AM TAKING RABEPRAZOL EVERY MORNING. I ALSO FEEL THAT WHEN I HAVE GASTRITIES PROBLEM, MY PALLITATIONS ARE STARTED. AFTER STARTED TAKING PROLOMET XL 25, MY TRYGLICERIDE LEVEL INCREASED TO 240.
I AM TOO MUCH FEARED WHEN MY PALPITATIONS STARTED. I KNOW THAT MY FEARNESS AGGREVATE MY PALPITATION. I USED TO TAKE CLONEZEPAM MD TABLETS WHEN I AM FEARED. I FEEL DISCOMFORT. BUT AFTER 1-2 HOURS I AM QUITE NORMAL TO DO ALL THE WORK.
MY PRENSENT MEDICINES ARE
1) RABLET D ( RABEPRAZOL -20MG AND DOMPERIDON 30MG) - 1 TAB DAILY MORNING IN EMPTY STOMACH.
2) PROLOMET XL 25 (Metoprolol) - 1 TAB AFTER BREAKFAST
3) PROLOMET XL 12.5 - 1 TAB AT NIGHT
4) ROSAVE (ROSUVASTATIN) -10 - 1 TAB AT NIGHT
5) LONAZEP MD 0.25 - (clonazepam ) - 2 TABS DAILY / SOS.
6) LIQUID ANTACID AND VITAXYME - SOS
SOMETIMES MY PALPITATIONS STARTS DURING SLEEP AT NIGHT TIME. I HAVE TO WAKE UP DUE TO PALPITATION. THEN I HAVE TO TAKE REST, RELAX, AVOID FEARNESS BY TAKING LONAZEP MD 0.25 - (clonazepam ).
YESTERDAY WHILE IN THE OFFICE, FIRST I FEEL SOME STOMACH PROBLEM. I IGNORE IT BUT AFTER SOME TIME MY PALPITATION STARTS. MY FEARNEES AGGREVATE MY PALPITATION BUT I AM NOT FEARED BEFORE MY PALPITATION.
KINDLY NOTE THIS TOO.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist.
You are being treated for Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia (PSVT), Anxiety and possible IBS or GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease). Obviously, you are stressed. My question is have you shown to a cardiologist (someone who has obtained DM degree in Cardiology) and whether the arrhythmia was ever recorded on EKG and seen. In that event, an option for you will be, if suitable (I have not seen your rhythm strip or even EKG or Holter if it was done) go for ablation by a competent cardiologist. If the indication is right that will take 80% of your worries and thereby reducing Gastrointestinal Symptoms and anxiety to a large extent. I will proceed further after I hear from you. Second question for you is how far is you are from Kolkata...can you afford to go there for treatment? Good Luck.
If you have any more query I will be most happy to answer it.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Internist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow up: Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later
Thankyou Sir. Reply as per your question.
1. Yes Sir, I have shown Cardiologist 3-4 times at Kolkata,( at Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Sciences and last at Apollo Hospitals, Kolkata). An executive heart checkup hasbeen done at Apollo by a Cardiologist, Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and I am under his treatment. Nothing positive has been found in ECG, ECHO, TRAEDMILL TEST) and as per advice of cardiologist of Apollo Hospitals, my drug INDERAL 10 has been stopped and PROLOMET XL 25 hasbeen started for last 6 months.
2. ECG has been done several times. From 2004 onwards till today all my ECG report is same. In every ECG it is marked as INCOMPLETE RIGHT BUNDLE BRANCH BLOCK. But no such situation has came so far to made an ECG exactly at the time of palpitation. I will go for a HOLTER in this week. I am not too far from KOLKATA. It is 450 km or one night jouney from my home.

Sir, I came to you only for the reason that after several investigations and consultation by cardiologist my problem has not yet cured and I am sufferring. Kindly set right me Sir.

Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
So, it appears your arrhythmia has never been diagnosed properly. It is anxiety you are being treated for. I will suggest. When you go for Holter Report get thyroid function tests. Once you have all the record take a second opinion of any other cardiologist from IPGIMER or any big hospital with all the investigations. I am now not sure whether you need b blockers (propanolol or metoprolol). With normal echocardiography being normal you need not worry about Right Bundle Branch Block. That in all probability benign (for the condition usually associated with ASD). How much is the axis in your EKG for it is left or right then it becomes bifascicular block then one would be concerned. In any case you will show your EKG to a different cardiologist do not forget to ask its significance. Cardiologists in medical college may take long time before you get to see them but their opinion is invariably not colored by any other considerations. Regards.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover

PS: With every normal test we prove that your illness is not severe, so please do not worry.