Suffering from one sided headache. Have gastric issues after taking Grenil. Should I continue the medication?

Dr. Praveen K Nath

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear Doctor, I have been suffering from one sided head ache for the past few years. I had taken homeo medicine for sometime about 3 years ago and it was cured. Again i started getting head ache about an year and half ago and i consulted an expert neurologist. He tested me and concluded that its because of anxiety, stress. Neurologist has asked me after the check-up he performed on my body if i had asthma earlier or anytime . As per his suggestions i have undergone through CT SCAN BRAIN and SINUSCUTS, he confirmed from the scan that i NEITHER have migraine NOR sinusitis And the scan reports are also normal. Medical history: 1. In the childhood i used to have asthma and it was cured totally after taking homeo medicines for about 10 months. 2. I have suffered from insomnia, also the same head ache about 3 years ago, and i had taken homeo medicine and it was cured. Symptoms: Head ache is mostly once sided on anyside, very painful sometimes and increases with hunger sometimes. I get acidity and burps most of the times when I get head ache. I sometimes doesn't get proper sleep and my mind works even though I sleep for the whole night. If i don't get proper sleep, there are chances that i get head ache the next day. Below are the medicines that the Neurologist doctor has given me: 2 tablets as a course for 1 month. 1> Petril beta 20mg (half tablet in the morning and half tablet at night) 2> Sibelium 5mg (at 9PM night) for 1 month initially 3> Grenil (prescribed to use only when i have Head Ache) After 1 month, i was given the same tablets as a course for 3 months 1> Petril beta 20mg (half tablet in the morning and FULL tablet at night ) 2> Sibelium 5mg (at 9PM night), 3> Grenil (prescribed to use only when i have Head Ache) 4> Duhap (Only for 15 days - 1 per day in the morning) My head ache and anxiety is very much cured compared to earlier after using the medication above but still having issues with the same along with acidity/gastric troubles sometimes and when I get headache. When I used the given tablet Grenil when i had headache, I happen to have acidic/gastric issues after using it sometimes Please suggest if I can continue the same medicines or suggest any medicines
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 19 hours later
Brief Answer: MIGRAINE/TENSION HEADACHE Detailed Answer: Dear mr XXXXXXX Hello I have gone through your history & prescription reports in detail You seem to be suffering from ? tension headaches or Migraine. Let me tell you that migraine or tension headache cannot be ruled out with MRI / CT scan as your opinion. Typically they increase with hunger and one sided and comes in group i mean a period of time. Dehydration, stress, sleeplessness, certain foods aggravate it or precipitate it. In my opinion you should try these with the help of your local doctor/Neurologist. All these are prescription based drugs. 1. Some analgesic ( ACECLOFENAC +PARACETAMOL) REGULARLY FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS 2. A combination of (CHLORDIAZEPOXIDE + AMYTRYPTILLINE) for about 2 weeks 3. A combination of (RABEPRAZOLE+ DOMPERIDONE) for about 2 weeks 4 Riboflavin and other multivitamins also help sometimes. 5 Take complete rest in a dark and quiet room on that day. You need at least 6 to 7 hrs daily sleep to avoid such things due to improper sleep. 6 De-stress yourself with activities like yoga/morning walk/picnics / sports etc 7 AVOID CONSTIPATION in few patients constipation is major cause for headache. 8 AVOID HEAVY MEALS especially during dinner 9 Keep a gap of at least two hrs between dinner & going to bed Thank you. Wishing you a speedy recovery Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX Director Deptt. of neurosurgery
Follow up: Dr. Praveen K Nath 33 hours later
Dear Doctor, Thank You Very Much for your detailed response. I would request you to suggest the medicines for the above combinations that you've prescribed for me above and the dose i have to take. Also, please provide me if there are any specific foods which causes head ache (i'm a vegetarian) and activities that i need to avoid so that i would be aware and take care keeping those things in mind. Please provide the details i requested. Thank You Very Much in advance. Thank You! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 14 hours later
Brief Answer: HEADACHE/MIGRAINE Detailed Answer: DEAR MR XXXXXXX HELLO You can take all the above medications only under supervision of a neurologist/physician. You should avoid heavy /spicy foods especially during nights . Take complete rest. Avoid constipation . Avoid prolonged TV/computer working Destress yourself . Thanx Dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E