Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suffering from nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain Found gall bladder stones. Should go for surgery?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hi, My wife has gall bladder stones of 6-7 mm detected with the recently done ultrasonography. The symptoms she has in the past few months have been nauseating, vomitting, uneasiness and a very little abdominal pain on the upper right. Is it necessary to go for surgery to remove gall bladder or can she continue till the pain aggrevates?
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 13 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and sharing your concern.

Normally for treatment of gall stones, surgery is the treatment.

The requirement depends upon her problem.

In case she has:

>Recurrent abdominal pain in that area
>Vomiting on regular basis

Then she needs surgery soon.

Even at times asymptomatic patients are also advised surgery.

This is because, these gall stones can slip and block the gall bladder duct and lead to obstruction in the system. This is a surgical emergency.

Please get in touch with a Gastro surgeon in your city and take his advice.

I hope this helps.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain Found gall bladder stones. Should go for surgery? 19 minutes later
Just one more question - is it possible to remove only the stones or necessary to remove the gall bladder itself? As removing the gall bladder could lead to complications of Liver in the future as I understand.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 20 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

No,sorry dear this in not the option.

Is is not possible to remove only stones,whole gall bladder has to be removed.

Do not worry,there will not be any problem of any kind in future.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor