Suffering from nasal discharge. Using nasal steroid spray. Is there any permanent cure?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am a 56 yer old male. I haven't had sinus problems before except nasal congestion. I have a sinus problem with lots of postnasal discharge, clumps of yellow slime all day long I suck out of my sinus and spit out. Sometimes clumps of white material, sometime little wafers in the morning. This morning large clumps of white cottage cheese clumps through my nose when I blew my none to clear my sinuses . It all started when I used a nasal steroid spray to get me off pseudoephedrine. I had a CT which showed nothing. The doctor has me on 3 weeks of cefuroxime 250 mg, 2x per day for 3 weeks in case it is a bacterial infection. He has me on a nasal rinse amphotericin B 100mg/l, 20 ml in each nostril, 2x per day as an antifungal (it is torture to inject this stuff in nose). After a week no change yet. I read that a side effect of steroid nasal spray is yeast and a pharmacist agreed and said I need Diflucan but the doctor won't listen to me. I've had this condition for over a year and some days are worse than other. I'm at the point of ordering Diflucan (generic)over internet without prescription to give it a try. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have a sinu-nasal infection with post nasal drip. You already had a course of antibiotic and antifungal preparations. I suggest to go for a
1. Repeat CT scan Nose and PNS
2. Nasal swab for culture and sensitivity, smear for Gram stain and fungal smear
3. Fasting and Post Prandial blood sugar

Once you have these reports, please go for a ENT consultation. I am sure once a diagnosis is made the treatment will be simple and straightforward. I will not suggest you to start treatment till a diagnosis is made.

Another option is that you can send a me the reports of the above mentioned investigations aso that i can help you further.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma