Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suffering from nasal discharge. Using nasal steroid spray. Is there any permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 332 Questions
I am a 56 yer old male. I haven't had sinus problems before except nasal congestion. I have a sinus problem with lots of postnasal discharge, clumps of yellow slime all day long I suck out of my sinus and spit out. Sometimes clumps of white material, sometime little wafers in the morning. This morning large clumps of white cottage cheese clumps through my nose when I blew my none to clear my sinuses . It all started when I used a nasal steroid spray to get me off pseudoephedrine. I had a CT which showed nothing. The doctor has me on 3 weeks of cefuroxime 250 mg, 2x per day for 3 weeks in case it is a bacterial infection. He has me on a nasal rinse amphotericin B 100mg/l, 20 ml in each nostril, 2x per day as an antifungal (it is torture to inject this stuff in nose). After a week no change yet. I read that a side effect of steroid nasal spray is yeast and a pharmacist agreed and said I need Diflucan but the doctor won't listen to me. I've had this condition for over a year and some days are worse than other. I'm at the point of ordering Diflucan (generic)over internet without prescription to give it a try. Any suggestions?
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided it appears that you have a sinu-nasal infection with post nasal drip. You already had a course of antibiotic and antifungal preparations. I suggest to go for a
1. Repeat CT scan Nose and PNS
2. Nasal swab for culture and sensitivity, smear for Gram stain and fungal smear
3. Fasting and Post Prandial blood sugar

Once you have these reports, please go for a ENT consultation. I am sure once a diagnosis is made the treatment will be simple and straightforward. I will not suggest you to start treatment till a diagnosis is made.

Another option is that you can send a me the reports of the above mentioned investigations aso that i can help you further.

I hope this answers your concerns. Feel free to contact me if you require more information about it.

with regards
Ravinder Sharma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor