Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Suffering from motor neuron disease. Having loss of appetite. Can Cypon to improve appetite?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
Hi There, my wife is suffering from motor neuron disease and is of late having loss of appetite. Can she take Cypon to improve her appetite
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cautious use in elderly with neurological prob

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

Loss of appetite is a common concern as age advances, and it should not worry much , because as age advances the metabolism to digest food also decreases.

Cypon contains Cyprohepatdine, which an antihistaminic , it has to be used very cautiously in elderly patients and that too only low dose can be given.

As your wife is having a neurological condition I advise you to consult your doctor before you use this medication. Because it is totally contraindicated in elderly debilitated persons and who are on anti-depression or anti-psychotic medications.

Before starting the Cypon, your doctor might advise few baseline investigations like liver , renal function tests and also cardiac evaluation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,     
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor