Suffering from minor anal gastritis. Cured by medication. Should I reduce the dosage?

Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am suffering from minor anal gastritis!!I have been adviced take pantocid hp(clarithomycin 750 mg,amoxycillin 500 mg and pantaprazole 40 mg) for 14 days twice daily.Since i hv recovered almost from the problem and completed 6 days of dosage.can the dosage be reduced
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 21 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for contacting healthcare magic.
Antral gastritis is caused by a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori. You have been advised treatment to eradicate this bacteria. This needs two weeks of therapy. If you stop in between there will be recurrence of bacteria and symptoms. It is nice to know that you are better but my advice will be to complete the course.
You can contact again if you have further queries in this regards.
Best wishes.
Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 26 hours later
Thanks Mr. Dinesh!!

Since the antibiotics causes very bad taste I was concerned a bit.
Is two weeks treatment required even for minor anal gastritis.I didn't have any severe symptoms as such!!So was wondering if the dosage can be lowered down to half of it or if i can skip amoxycillin dosage and continue clarithomycin and pantaprazole?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 17 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Yes, you are right these antibiotics particularly clarithromycin causes lots of bad taste.
Once you have started the treatment, I will suggest that you should take it for atleast 10 days, unless you are finding it difficult to continue the medicines due to side effects.
There is no point skipping amoxycillin as it does not cause taste alteration. taste alteration is caused by clarithromycin.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 minutes later
Thanks Sir,

Yes bad taste is a concern.I was just wondering if the dosage can be altered for remaining 7 days .i.e what if I go along with one of the antibiotics twice daily and pantaprazole.Please give your suggestion for this case??
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 51 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

This will not be of much use against H.pylori infection, it will be better to stop the treatment completely. Maybe you can continue just with pantaprazole.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 minute later
Thanks sir!!

Rather i would go along with the treatment.Can you please suggest any tablet that would remove side effects of antibiotics something like probiotic thing like (sporolac etc and its dosage) ?

This would help.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Taking probiotics may not have any effect on taste alteration due to clarithromycin. However it can help in bowel alteration due to amoxycillin.
You can take sporolac twice a day till the time you take antibiotics.
Best wishes.
Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 6 days later
Hi sir,

I have completed the 14 days dosage of pantocid H.P.

Now I have been advised to take Pantocid dp(Pantaprazole-20 mg and Domeridone 10mg) capsule for 1 month(before breakfast) due to existing minor acidity problem.

Is it required to have domperidine also or simply pantaprazole can be taken once.

Just wondering if there are any side effects of this medicine.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 19 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

you are right, in my opinion just taking plain pantaprazole should be fine. No need to take a combination with domperidone. Usually there are no side effects of pantaprazole.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later
Thanks!
So does domperidone has any side effects though the medicine prescribed is mild only i believe.

So was wondering if the medicine pantaprazole and domperidone combi can be taken for a week and then i cn just hv simply pantaprazole fr next three weeks.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

You can do this way also. There should be problem either way. Domperidone is also a safe drug.

Dr Dinesh Singal
Thanks i would continue wih the pantaprazole + domperidone dosage for a month.
I am still having sporolac thrice a day as a precautionary measure.
Can it be stopped now as antibiotics are over?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 8 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

You can stop sporolac now. There is no need to take it.

Dr.Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 5 hours later
Thanks for your advise.

I am adviced to take domperidone as I was getting more burps/belching than usual.

So does it really helps in reducing that or even pantaprazole once a day is ok to dealt with it.

Just want to cut down the medicine intake.It would be great if pantaprazole serves the purpose.

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 17 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Both pantaprazole as well as pantaprazole domperidone combination may be helpful in this case. You have to try one of the approach to see which one is effective for you. Though chance of a combination being better is more.
Best wishes,
Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow up: Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 16 days later
Hello Sir!!

I am doing good.

I am still continuing with the prescribed dosage.I was also asked to take sporolac ds daily once.So is it safe to have sporolac daily for another say 10 days till the pantaprazole+domeperidone dose is complete.

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 43 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Yes it is safe to take Sporolac.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Hi sir,

But i feel bit bloated after it for some time.can it cause this bloating or bit excess gas?
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 7 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Bloating and gas can be side effects of sporolac. As i told you earlier you actually do not need to take sporolac and can even stop it if you are experiencing these side effects.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal