Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Suffering from mid backache and muscle pain. Working on laptop. Suggest medication to strengthen back muscles?

Jul 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 2148 Questions
Hi, i am sufferring from mid backache for 1 year now. Its a muscle pain. There there any medicine to strengthen back muscles. I work on laptop all day long.
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are no medicines to strengthen muscles.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

At the outset, I would like to tell you that Chronic back pain always needs a detailed clinical examination followed by a set of investigations to define the exact cause of the pain. Xrays of the involved area are needed to look at any bony alignment abnormality and MRI scan is needed to rule out any soft tissue pathology in the muscles, ligaments, spinal joints & spinal canal.

Since you work all day long on a laptop, I suspect it could be a Positional or Postural backache. Leaning forward or stooping posture for prolonged periods of time will lead to spasm of the paravertebral muscles resulting in pain.

I suggest you to use of Spinal back support in your seating chair while at work.
Also, you must adapt a straight back position (not leaning forward position) while being seated.

A course of physiotherapy programme is necessary to strengthen and stabilize the back muscles so as to provide good support for the vertebral column.

Temporary pain relief can be obtained by using Analgesic or Muscle relaxant medications and Local massage with painkiller creams. Moist heat fomentation over the stiff and painful area helps loosen the underlying muscles.

Massage therapy, Spinal manipulation, Acupuncture and TENS (trancutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) are also useful in providing backpain relief in selected population.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor