Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Suffering from mental disorder. Addicted to marijuana. Become very violent and abusive. Suggest solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
Hi one of my relative is suffering from some kind of mental disorder where in he has become very paranoid and is addicted to marijuana, he has become very violent and abusive and is very difficult to control, initially we thought it was a case of drug addiction and sent him to a rehab but that did not help. Now he is delusional that some one is trying to harm him and he is not listening to any logic. He is abusive to relatives and lives in his own world. it is very difficult to talk to him some other symptoms are

- He sleeps too long some days and doesn't sleep at all in others.
- He hallucinates hears voices and thinks there are people to hurts him
- He sits for long time doing nothing at strange places, cemetery, temple, garden etc.
- He is very pessimistic and thinks there is no point of living. talks very philosophically which does not make sence
- He constantly wants to be under influence of canabies/ marijuana
- He becomes violent and abusive
- He is very introvert and doesn't socialize at all
- He starts laughing without any reason even in sad news
- He thinks he has knowledge of everything and becomes agitated if someone argues or tries to convince him
Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
regular antipsychotics medication will help

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the query

It is either cannabis induced psychosis or independent psychosis because of which he is indulging in regular cannabis consumption

Cannabis consumption will worsen his condition

Antipsychotics like risperidone, olanzapine, if taken regularly, should help in such patients. He needs to be started on these drugs. Additionally, benzodiazepines like clonazepam or Lorazepam should augment the effect of antipsychotics.

After control of acute symptoms, continuing rehabilitation should help further

Past head injury is unlikely to have direct connection with his current condition
Deaddiction centre of NIMHANS, Bangalore can be a better hospital for him to get treated

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from mental disorder. Addicted to marijuana. Become very violent and abusive. Suggest solution? 30 minutes later
Hi Doctor, thanks for your response, Currently my relative is in Mumbai and he is in denial and wont take any medications, he is in XXXXXXX Foundation Mumbai Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation Center a drug rehab in mumbai. Can you suggest a good rehab facility/ Psychiatrist in Mumbai for him? His condition is very bad now and he just wants to be free from the rehab center, he has become very violent and 4 5 people are needed to control him.
Some other questions:

1) a friend has suggested that he may be a schizophrenic?
2) The drugs you have written are those prescribed drugs or over the counter?
3) Is there an immediate method to calm him down?
4) which is the best facility in india for such treatments?

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer is elaborative

Detailed Answer:
Thank you

Yes, most likely Schizophrenic. But cannabis induced psychosis can be an alternative possibility. Usually, it is difficult to differentiate the two condition.

The drugs that I have written are to be prescribed, not over the counter(OTC) drugs.

Immediate method to calm down: Injection haloperidol and phenergan, as and when he becomes violent. Response will start in 30 minutes or olanzapine rapitab can be kept over tongue and the effect may start in 30 min.

Dr Subhangini XXXXXXX of Psychiatry department, KEM Hospital may be a good place.

Hope I am clear.

Wish him good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor