Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

199 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suffering from lungs disorder.Allergic to dust and pollen. What treatment would be given?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12924 Questions
Hi Doc

My mother i believe suffering lungs disorder. She eats very healthy but whatever she eats is converted into phlegm and she is coughing all day. She is allergic to dust and pollen.

Offlate her phlegm formation is so much that she spits every 3 to 5 min. She also gets exerted in the process.
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your history it seems that your mother is having chronic bronchitis. Wheezing and impacted phelgem needs systemic antibiotics to deal with the infection she is having in her airways. You will have to consult a physician to get the best antibiotic and brochodilators prescribed for her. Steroids- both oral and inhalers might be needed for symptomatic relief.
However the best treatment for impacted mucus is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in the airways. You may also find that adding some menthol crystals, or eucalyptus oil, to the water helps a lot. Other than that, avoid eating indigestible, spicy, foods and meats and eat simple wholesome foods. Out-of-door exercise, sunbaths also help a lot.
If she has fever or the cough and expectoration is worsening then it is advisable to get a X-ray chest done to rule out pneumonia as well.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist