Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Suffering from lower back pain. How to get rid of this?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5600 Questions
I am suffering from low back pain from last one year. I am 32 years, before that I had never back pain. I went on diagonosis(MRI) which revealed no serious problem as per the doctor and he prescribed me Back strengthening exercises and few medicines. I am following those exercise regularly and the pain is reduced to some extent but not gone completely. When I bent forward or stretch then the pain starts.
Recently(for the last couple of months) my physical activity(e.g,. walking or any other exercises) is reduced as I have become more busy with office works and study.
Due to this I am having fat and my clothes are getting tighter. These results into back pain sometimes.

Please suggest some methods or exercises through which I can reduce extra fat and also keep in shape without hurting my back. I do not want get into rigorous exercise regime.
Thanking you.
Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your problem is most likely due to disc bulges in the lumbar (lower back) region, which compresses the nerves at the back, commonly referred to as disc prolapse and lumbar spondylosis.

Treatment is with physiotherapy and back extension exercises, which you have done, under the guidance of physiotherapist.

Medications such as pregabalin and gabapentin are also useful in cases of pain.

For weight control and fat reduction, following are advisable:

1. Diet control- mainly avoiding sweets, fatty and oily foods.

2. Regular exercises- Cycling, brisk walking on a level ground, etc. are safe for you, taking account of your back problem, and they should be helpful.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain. How to get rid of this? 13 minutes later
Please let me know with the exercises that I am going through the disc bulge problem will be cured or not. Is it not possible to complete recover from the problem as many a times I suffer from the pain.

Any other suggestions from side for curing the above will be highly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

You would be glad to note that 90% of people get cured with exercises and medical therapy. Surgery is needed in only 10% of cases, with severe back and leg pain.

In addition, you should avoid lifting heavy weights and avoid directly bending forwards.

I am sure you would recover fast.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back pain. How to get rid of this? 5 minutes later
Thanks for your encouraging words. But in my case it is almost one year, I am suffering. So how long it may take to get cured?

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Most people get better in 6-12 months, some people may take upto two years to get well. Please continue the treatment as advised.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor