Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Suffering from lower back ache and pain in heel. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10458 Questions
I have been suffering from pain in my right heel continously from the past few months
Also I am having lower back ache
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.
A short term rest and take care of the inflammation.
To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.
A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Calf and anterior (front of) leg stretching and strengthening addresses the biomechanical problems and reduces pain.
Pay careful attention to selecting the correct running shoe based upon the foot type (flexible pronator vs. rigid supinator). This is extremely important. In selected cases, shoe inserts (orthotics) may be necessary. Shoe inserts are often the key to successful treatment of plantar fasciitis. The shoe inserts often permit patients to continue their routine activities.
If the pain does not resolve, an injection of cortisone can decrease the inflammation of plantar fasciitis.
You may need few physiotherapy sessions along with prescription anti inflammatory drugs after getting yourself examined from an Orthopedician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from lower back ache and pain in heel. What treatment should be done? 2 hours later
Dear Sir,
Thanks you for the reply. However I have some doubts
1) What could be the casue of lower bach ache?
2) Will weight loss help?
3) What is the cause of planter facilties is it due to low calcium content in body?
4) Any specific diet that you suggest?
5) Also i feeling little stress on my knees is it due to extra weight?
6) Should i stop driving for some time till I recover ? My average drive per day is 50-60 km
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The low back ache could be positional, mechanical back pain, muscle spasm, inflammatory conditions, etc. Physical examination and investigations like MRI are necessary for diagnosis.
Weight loss will help both of your problems.
Plantar fasciitis is not due to a low calcium content. It is due to an inflammation of the fascia or mild contracture.
Healthy diet XXXXXXX in calcium and magnesium will help.
The stress on your knees can be due to an excess weight.
Avoid driving till your back pain subsides.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor