Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Suffering from lower abdominal pain. Had heavy periods. Should I worry about cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1970
Answered : 5990 Questions
I started my period on october 31 on november 8 it became light and brown. Now today it back to normal flow and red. Ive also had bad stomach and lower abdominal pains periodcally throughtout the day. Ive had very heavy periods for four years now and they are always all XXXXXXX the place as to when they come. Last pap was two years ago all was fine. Should i be worried this is cancer or something serious?
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You need medical attention at the earliest... Detailed Answer: HI XXXXX, The problem you have deserves concern. Menorrhagia is abnormal, heavy, prolonged bleeding at menses, at regular intervals. It can be due to hormonal, abnormal blood clotting or some disorders of endometrium (the inner lining of uterus. It is also seen to run in family. Though carcinoma is one of the possibility your gynecologist will consider while evaluating, I do not suggest you to be worried. Some of features of cancer are: - Cancer is pain less, because bleeding irregular in natural, while menorrhagia is always at menses. - Cancer is accompanied by enlarged lymph glands, which are hard to feel (here inguinal lymph glands) - Cancer bleeding can be instigated by sex. - Patient has fast reduction of weight, - Cancer uterus usually has past history of endometriosis (Painful menses, sterility) I would urge you to visit a gynecologist at the earliest. You will need a detailed clinical examination and evaluation including pelvic rectal examination, a repeat Pap smear (It should be done yearly in case of uncontrolled menorrhagia), Pelvic ultrasound scanning, endometrial biopsy, hsteroscopy, hormone assay, hemogram and coagulation profile. Your gynecologist will know about these tests. I hope the answer is informative as well as helpful to you. In case of any further query, I will be happy to help. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from lower abdominal pain. Had heavy periods. Should I worry about cancer? 19 hours later
Does it seem most likely that this is hormonal? I suffer from acute panic disorder?
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Mostly hormonal. Self control for panic attacks. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXX, T hanks for the repeat query. That indicates your curiousness as well as an urge /hope that has aroused in your mind to get rid of the problem! I appreciate your attitude & wish you all the best. The pain you have is mainly a sign of over congestion of inner lining of uterus/ excessive bleeding, clots of blood create pain while it passes out of small uterine mouth. Yes, there are all chances for the heavy periods being due to hormonal imbalance. You should get your Hormonal assay, hemogram & coagulation profile to start with. This will confirm the diagnosis of hormonal imbalance. The remaining investigations help to exclude other possibilities/ support the hormonal imbalance. So, there is no harm in getting all the investigations done. I am sure, once the diagnosis is confirmed, your gynecologist's advice of suitable hormonal preparation would relieve you of excessive bleeding & pain too. Please stop worrying Panic attacks are definitely under control ,when the patient knows the causative factor & role of treatment in abolishing the cause it self! - Try & understand your sufferings are curable. - Be positive, think positive & composed. - You can Meditate, Psychological concentration exercises to have a concentration on positivity/ push off negativity from your life itself. - To start with, Psychiatrist's aid may be taken in form of medicines/counseling. Hope, this helps you! Any further query, I will be happy to help. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor