Suffering from loose stool and low grade fever. Any treatment?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Loose stool, 4 to 5 days, low grade fever, no cramping, apparent control with loperamide, then return 24 hrs
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 18 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
Its likely that you have an acute infective diarrhea. Please avoid taking loperamide as it can potentially make the infection spread to the blood stream. You can take a course of probiotics and a light diet. Take plenty of yoghurt. Try avoiding milk for few days as some people especially elderly may develop lactose intolerance after an diarrheal illness. This should settle down in 2-3 days. If it still persists, see a physician for a course of antibiotics.
Hope this answers your query.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 24 hours later
Thanks , especially info on loperamide. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 22 hours later
You are welcome.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad