Suffering from loose motion. Suggest medicine and diet plan

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi. My daughter is suffering from loose motion. In a day she goes 4 times and finding some gum also for two times in the motion. Can you please suggest her food diet and medicine to be used.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on the baby's condition to understand better and advice specifically.

Since when is your daughter having loose stools?
Are the stools watery?
Is there any blood stain or mucus in the stools?
Are the stools foul smelling or of abnormal color?
Have you given any medications for the same?

Meanwhile do give her oral rehydration solutions like rebalanz, buttermilk, fruit juices with a pinch of salt etc. This will replenish her lost waters in the body and provide some relief.

Waiting for your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Since when is your daughter having loose stools? from last 1 week
Are the stools watery? some times
Is there any blood stain or mucus in the stools? no
Are the stools foul smelling or of abnormal color? smell is there
Have you given any medications for the same? BIFILAC
we are using the BIFILAC from yesterday
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 minutes later

Thanks for the information.

The loose stools appear to be due to infection. Do continue the BIFILAC and Oral rehydration solutions I mentioned above.

Also, do give her ZEDOTT (Racecadotril) XXXXXXX mixed in clean water, one XXXXXXX a day. This will stop the watery stools and avoid dehydration.

If the loose stools become fouler smelling and with lots of mucous then there is need for her to be placed on antibiotics. You may have to then consult the pediatrician, who after examining the baby, can advice suitable antibiotics.

Wish you good health.