Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Suffering from laryngeal reflux and voice is hoarse. Affecting lungs and have breathing problem. Suggest the remedy?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
m suffering frm laryngal reflux(lpr) since 4 yrs my voice is always hoarse i hve tried all ppis now its affecting my lungs also i hve breathing problem if i walk few distance after climbing stairs and doing physical activity so i wanna knw the solution for hoarse voice and why m out of breath on exertion
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pneumonitis is a possibility

Detailed Answer:

Since the problem is long standing (4 yrs) and I am sure you had done all kinds of testing like laryngoscopy. Did they rule out erosion on the vocal cords?

Two things here:
1) PPI resistant acid reflux disease is known but should carefully be labelled by physicians. The prevalence is from 10 to 25%. Were you compliant to the PPI therapy? Did the doctor increase the dose of PPI to twice a day? Were you taking before food early in the morning? Did you adopt life style changes like elevation of head end of the bed, loose clothes, not lying down before three hours of food, avoiding spices, cheese, coffee, chocolate, garlic, tomatoes, milk (sometimes help)

2) It is better re consider the diagnosis before labelling PPI resistant acid reflux disease. It could be non acid reflux disease.

The next step is to knock the door of a Gastroenterologist for an Upper GI Endoscopy / 24hr Ph monitoring or motility disorders.

The breathlessness seems like the acid is getting into the lungs and causing pneumonitis. This can be XXXXXXX and you had already taken PPIs for so long time. PPI also cause pneumonia. So Chest xray also needs to be done with lung examination.

I suggest an XXXXXXX Medicine plus Gastroenterologist evaluations at this point of time.

Hope this helps you take right direction.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from laryngeal reflux and voice is hoarse. Affecting lungs and have breathing problem. Suggest the remedy? 3 hours later
yes i did all test chest x XXXXXXX didnt showed anything wrong( had it in april do i need it nw also) but vocal cords are red and swollen one more thing i feel out of breath in morning time more on exertion as compared to evening and sir what is non acidic reflux and if ppi can cause Pneumonitis what is alternative can take XXXXXXX cider vinegar how to prevent pneumonitis what are symptoms what is non acidic reflux can i get 24 ph monitoring test at hyderabad
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgical options are open

Detailed Answer:

If the vocal cords are red and swollen then you will have hoarseness. It could be acid or non acid reflux like bile. Since the vocal cords are swollen it is not allowing the air for easy pass through hence the exertion. It is good that the Xray chest is normal earlier but since the shortness of breath aggravated recently it is better to get this done once again. Did they try with prokinetics like rabeprazole with Itopiride? I suggest you to XXXXXXX a Gastroenterologist for PPI resistant GERD.

I have not experience with XXXXXXX cide vinegar. You can get the 24 ph monitoring at Hyderabad. I suggest you to see a consultant at Asian Institute of Gastroenterology in Hyderabad. If there is a need to revise the diagnosis. Let them decide after examination.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from laryngeal reflux and voice is hoarse. Affecting lungs and have breathing problem. Suggest the remedy? 48 hours later
thnx sir can u tell where the linx surgery is avialable in india
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Larger centres in India

Detailed Answer:

You should contact a surgical gastroenterologist at larger centre like Apollo, Fortis. You should be guided well at AIG, Hyd. They have it.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor